Setting Up a Cloud-Based Quality Management System
Perhaps you want to set up a Quality Management System or you already have an effective QMS but want to make it cloud-based. We have created a number of steps to help you set up a cloud-based Quality Management System with a software platform. Implementing a cloud-based QMS gives you the tools to manage the quality of the organization smoothly.
Why Use a Cloud-Based Quality Management System?
A cloud-based platform makes it easy to collect the data, analyze it, take action, and track tasks. All this from anywhere at any time. No lost data, but always a backup.
Here are some other benefits:
- Going Mobile
- Identify Repeated Issues
- Review Workflows
- CAPA Tracking
- Automated Reminders
- Action Reassignments
- Inspection Report History
- Data Dashboards
- ERP integrations
Steps for Setting up a Cloud-Based Quality Management System
1. Define & Map Your Processes
The first step is to visualize the processes from your organization with an online flowcharts creator. This makes it easy to identify any potential problems that may come along the way. Modern quality management platforms usually have a flowchart creator built-in.
2. Define Your Quality Policy & Objectives
The Quality Policy is the philosophy of a company around quality. Quality objectives are a great way to motivate team members and employees. They should also be measurable and set up throughout the organization. Be sure to share this on an online platform so everyone can see what they need in order for the quality objectives of their own department or area.
The objective may be in the form of critical success factors. Some critical success factors include:
- Product Quality
- Process Improvement
- Customer Satisfaction
3. Develop Metrics to Track & Monitor Data
Critical success factors are known, measurements and metrics keep track of improvement. This can be done through a data reporting procedure used to collect specific data. Making a cloud-based dashboard from this data gives you better ways to take action for improvement anytime.
4. Define Issues for Every Process
An issue is when something within the organization doesn’t go according to plan, this can be a deviation in production or when procedures are not followed.
Each time an issue occurs it needs to be recorded, corrected and determined whether corrective actions are required. When defining your issue:
- Determine issues in product and process
- Define a process to record issues
- Define a process to report issues in specified formats
5. Develop Documents & Records
A cloud-based QMS platform needs to have some documented information. Start with the minimum required document set and add when needed. Creating this on a QMS platform gives automated version control.
- Create mandatory document information as per business model
- Create essential quality policies, procedures, and forms
- Create documented information and formats (records) for each defined process
6. Define Quality Process
Your quality procedure includes internal audits, management reviews, corrective and preventive action processes, and communication processes.
7. Train Employees & Team Members
To get all data needed, forms must be filled in by employees. The right way to engage employees and ensure they use the forms is through continuous training. Plan these training sessions to make sure people get familiar with the cloud-based QMS.
The cloud-based QMS is now set up properly. It is now time to leverage the power of your QMS and “Go Live”. Make sure people are trained and familiar with the structure of the QMS. This will increase engagement and the adoption of the QMS.
Cloud-Based QMS Implemented
8. Use the Cloud-Based Quality Management System
After implementing the cloud-based QMS, it is time to start using it. You want to produce the best quality products and services and track their progress with the QMS platform.
Within a cloud-based Quality Management System, you get the tools to:
- Collect non-conformance and record them
- Review this data for corrective and preventive action (CAPA)
- Perform internal audits and conduct management reviews
- Document control
- Equipment management
9. Take Action to Improve Performance
Using a Quality Management System in the current world means collecting data. Analyze this data to check if the collected data is good to use and if the intended results can be derived. You need to:
- Track quality objectives and their performance
- Determine improvement chances in the data by recognizing trends, patterns, or correlations.